The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Gallipoli Association forum > Gallipoli Association Events.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

Gallipoli Association Conference 2012 Update.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gallipoli Association Conference 2012 Update.
    Posted: 12 Aug 2012 at 12:52

Hi All,

Just arrived home from Birmingham and thought that I would update you all on how the conference went. I am sure that there will be an article in the Gallipolian Winter Issue.

Firstly a massive amount of thanks must go to Simon Kleinig the organiser of the Conference. Everything was organised to perfection. The Tallyho Centre is an excellent venue nestled in the leafy suburbs of Edgebaston. The venue staff where most hospitable and the facilities and food supplied were amazing. In these current times the actual value for money wont be surpassed.

Well done Simon.

As for the the four speakers, all those in attendance were treated to a variety of Gallipoli related topics by these fountains of knowledge (although they are all to humble to accept a compliment such as that).

Michael Hickey (Association Historian and author) regaled us with stories of the men of Gallipoli by the use of diary extracts and enlightened us all with regards to the work of the HQ staff.

Stephen Chambers (Association Webmaster and author), in his lecture regarding photograhy at Gallipoli, forensically analysed some of the more well know photos of the campaign and showed us amazing details that are not normally visible, of particular interest to yours truly was the analysis of the landings at V Beach. Stephen showed many more photos which illuminated some of the many facets of the campaign and those that served.

Peter Hart (Oral Historian and author), in his own inimitable style, filled with knowledge, humour and understanding of the human story of Gallipoli, informed us about the much forgotten and indeed ignored French involvement during the campaign, both Naval Operations and Land Operations were covered by Peter.

Christopher Pugsley (Author) discussed with great emotion and passion the New Zealand involvement in the campaign and the overall hopes and effects of the Gallipoli campaign and indeed the relevance of the lessons learned (or in many cases not learned) from the campaign.

Alongside the speakers there were stands set-up by our friends in the Western Front Association, the Salonika Association and we had several reputable authors including Richard Van Emden and Len Sellars; there were also representatives of some of the Battlefied Tour Companies and historical books available for purchase (and yes I did buy some even if it was taking a chance with Ryan Air weight restrictions).

With over 100 people in attendance it was an excellent oppotunity to meet and greet like-minded people who shared a passion for the Gallipoli Campaign.

The meal in the evening was beyond reproach and highly commented on.

All initial reports from those in attendance are very positive and encouraging, so I look forward (as I know many more do) to next years Conference.

Once again many thanks to Simon for his efforts on behalf of the Gallipoli Association.

Edited by Mal Murray - 15 Aug 2012 at 17:55
Lone Pine View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lone Pine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2012 at 18:50
Glad it went off well Mal, just so gutted that I missed it.  
Grandaughter of William Pritchard KIA Lone Pine
Lone Pine! Lone Pine!For those who come no more

No bugle call can wake them from their slumber:

Lone Pine! Lone Pine!

saunders6116 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saunders6116 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 12:41
A memorable event.  Congratulations to all who were on duty on the day and behind the scenes previously.

Regards,

Jonathan S
judy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 16:03
Indeed it was a most memorable conference.  I've been to Gallipoli just twice but now feel so inspired to visit again.  Events such as this really do help to keep the memory alive and encourage further study.  A huge thanks to everyone involved.  I do hope there will be more.

Judy

Edited by judy - 14 Aug 2012 at 16:04
Peter Trounson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Trounson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 03:46
Jealousy is a curse and I am cursed!
ANZACPRIDE
Krithia View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krithia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 12:21
A great event, now to plan 2013's !!!!
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 12:28
Count me in of course!!!
MichaelBully View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MichaelBully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 16:26
Glad it went so well, hope to attend in 2013.  Am familiar with the 'Tally Ho ' as the Great War Forum held their pals conference this year in March.
Regards
The Ancient Sages said, 'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon'.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Trounson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 02:04
OK, now I have been holding my breath till now but can't wait any longer so the big question is: Did anything get video taped or recorded or does the silence say it all?
ANZACPRIDE
Krithia View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krithia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 17:30
Hi Peter,

No, nothing was recorded, which was unfortunate for those who were not able to attend, but again its a great reason to come along to the next one! In the future I will see if a recording is possible, but in most circustamnces speakers in general do not want to be recorded, so this causes problems as you can see. Maybe a 'live' webinar is the answer, although would this deter people from buying a ticket and just watching on line for free? Something I will investigate for the next one.

All the best, Stephen
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2012 at 22:03
Peter,

Sorry about the non-recording but due to stuff I had to bring with me polo shirts etc, and taking into account Ryan Air restrictions I couldn't being my video.

With a bit of prep and speaker clearance we might get next years conference taped. The quality of the speakers was excellent, and enlightening.

Maybe someday soon we can organise an Association conference in Australia (the home of the Anzac).
Afterall why should the northern hemisphere have all the fun.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Trounson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2012 at 03:34
No need for apologies guys. It is just a bit frustrating that living so far away it is impossible to attend from a financial perspective let alone anything else. I would be more than happy to pay to view it online if that was ever possible. Anyway, back to reading books I guess. No doubt there will be plenty of things to see and do that the government 100th Anniversary Committee will have organised.

Cheers,

Peter
ANZACPRIDE
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic