The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Roll of Honour of the Fallen - Gallipoli Campaign > Roll of Honour British Regiments > 1 Bn Essex Regiment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

Pte John Barnes (8987) KIA 25 April 1915

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pte John Barnes (8987) KIA 25 April 1915
    Posted: 04 Aug 2012 at 11:40
I am indebted to forum member Paulc for supplying supplementry information regarding his Great-grandfather.

Note: Information which is in italics and prefixed by an * is additional to that shown by the CWGC.

Barnes John Edwin Private 8987 1st Bn Essex Regiment
Born: Poplar, Middlesex (17/3/1890) Resided: Dublin Enlisted: Stratford. Essex
*Age: 25 Date of Death: 25/04/1915 Cause: Killed in action.
Previous Military Service: Private Barnes was a Regular Soldier who served in Ireland with 2nd Bn. Essex Regiment before being posted to the 1st Bn. to serve in India.
*Family notes: Son of Henry and Martha (nee Harvey) Barnes, of 50, Burke Street, West Ham; husband of Elizabeth (nee Daniels) Barnes of 7, Woodfield Place, New Kilmainham, Dublin. (Married in Dublin 1909).
Trade/profession: Regular Soldier (1911 English Census).
Other notes: Private Barnes’ Medal Index Card shows him as entering the Gallipoli Theatre of Operations on 25/4/1915; his Medal Index Card also shows him as “DOW 25/4/1915”.
Census notes: The 1911 English Census shows John Edwin (Single, aged 22) serving as a Private with 1st Bn. Essex Regiment at, Quetta, India. The 1911 Irish Census shows Lizzie Barnes (Married, aged 23) residing at, NO. 7, Woodfield Place, New Kilmainham, Dublin; she stated that during her two years of marriage she had no children. The 1901 English Census shows the Barnes family (residing at, No. 50, Burke Street, West Ham) as follows; Henry (General Labourer, aged 38) and Martha (aged 37) and their children, Henry E. (aged 17), Walter (aged 13), John E. (aged 10), Arthur C. (aged 8), Edward K. (aged 6), Martha A. (aged 2), Ethel M. (aged 5 Months).
Special Notes: Private Barnes is not listed on the Irish War Memorial records. It should be noted that Private Barnes is listed in Soldiers Died as “Killed in action” whilst his Medal Index Card shows him as “Died of wounds”.
Grave/Memorial: Panel 144 to 150 or 229 to 233. Helles Memorial.

His CWGC entry may be viewed here;

Edited by Mal Murray - 08 Aug 2012 at 17:25
paulc View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 15:59
Many thanks Mal for posting this and for all your time and effort in the running of this site, we are all indeed indebted to your goodself
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 09:05
Paul,

You are most welcome.

The time and effort is worth it if we can have all our veterans, commemorated on the Gallipoli Association Roll of Honour.

It's a big task but well worth it, the soldiers and sailors of Gallipoli deserve nothing less for the sacrifice they made.

Mal.
paulc View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 13:54
paulc View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 13:55
paulc View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 13:55
John Edwin Barnes remembered on The Helles Memorial
paulc View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 14:08
Some additional info on John Edwin Barnes

8987 John Edwin Barnes Born Poplar. Enlisted into the 3rd Militia Battalion Essex Regiment as Number 9431 on 17th October 1906, aged 17 years 7 months. A carman by profession living at 66 Hamsworth{?} Road Canning Town. In June 1907 he attested for Regular Service and after basic training at Warley depot, was posted to 2nd Battalion Essex later in 1907. Posted from the 2nd Battalion to the 1st Battalion stationed in on Quetta 5th January 1911. In Quetta he served with C Company. 1911 Census refers. C Company was merged to form part of the new “Y” Company when the battalion moved to a four company structure in 1913.
paulc View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 14:12
paulc View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 14:17

I've managed to collate additional data on my great grand father John Edwin Barnes, utilising info here and what I have researched myself.

The following information is taken from John Edwin Barnes Army enlisting documentation dated 19th October 1906. He was recruited into the Essex Regiment at the Frances Street Office, Woolwich, London. On the day he enlisted, he was 17 years and 7 months old. His height was 5ft 6 1/2" and his weight 12st 3lbs. His chest measurement was 35" and his complexion listed as Sallow. He had brown eyes and auburn hair and his religion is listed as C of E.

He had the following distinguishing marks:

Scar left side of forehead

Scar between shoulder blades

Tattoo I Love F.Bevens front of left forearm

His address on enlisting is: 66, Hansworth Street, Canning Town, London.

His next of kin are listed as follows:

Father Harry 66 Hansworth St. Canning Town Essex

Elder Bros Harry Pte East Surrey Regt, Walter .................

Jnr Bros Arthur and Edward Sisters Martha & Ethel, all with father

John Edwin Barnes served as a Private in the First World War in the Essex Regiment, 1st Battalion, serial number 8987. He was killed in action in Gallipoli, Turkey on 25 April 1915 and he is remembered on The Helles Memorial, Turkey. He was awarded the Victory Medal, The British Medal, The Star Medal and The Memorial Plaque. He is listed as going from the 2nd Battalion, then at the Curragh Camp, to join the 1st Battalion in the Regimental Magazine of April 1911. He then appears in the 1911 Census at Quetta with C Company of the 1st Bn as a single Private soldier aged 22. He landed at Gallipoli on the first day of the landing, thereby earning the 1914-15 Star, on which day he was killed.

paulc View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 hours 39 minutes ago at 15:21

I have finally written up the story for my 3 x great grand father John Edwin Barnes, thanks again for everyone's help on here that have helped make this possible, cheers everyone.

One of my “Heroes” and Favourite Ancestors the fourth in my series of blogs about my 8 great-grandparents The Life and Times of John Edwin Barnes

https://chiddicksfamilytree.wordpress.com/2019/08/17/the-life-and-times-of-john-edwin-barnes/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic