The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Roll of Honour of the Fallen - Gallipoli Campaign > Roll of Honour British Regiments > 1st Bn Royal Dublin Fusiliers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

De Lusignan Raymond KIA 26/4/1915

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: De Lusignan Raymond KIA 26/4/1915
    Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 17:39
Information preceded by an asterisk and in italics is extra to that provided by the CWGC.

DE LUSIGNAN, Raymond Lieutenant 1st Bn Royal Dublin Fusiliers.
*Born: 29 Holland Road, Hove, Sussex (13/2/1894).
Previous Military Experience: Entered the R.M.C. Sandhurst, in 1911, and was gazetted to his regiment on 3/9/13 and served from then with the 1st Bn R.D.F. in India until it was recalled as part of the M.E.F..  He was promoted Lieutenant in September 1914.
Age: 21 Date of Death: 26/04/1915 Cause: Killed in action
*Family Notes: Only son of Flora E H de Lusignan (nee Park) and the late Henry M. de Lusignan, of 29, Holland Road, Hove, Sussex
Trade/profession: Commissioned Officer.
Education: Educated at, Marlborough House, The Drive, Hove; Charterhouse School, Godalming, Surrey and the Royal Military College, Sandhurst.

Lieutenant Raymond De Lusignan, 1st Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers, only son of the late Mr. H. M. De Lusignan and Mrs, de Lusignan, was born on 13th February 1894 at, 29 Holland Road, Hove, Sussex. He was educated at Marlborough House, The Drive, Hove and at Charterhouse, entering the R.M.C. Sandhurst in 1911. He was gazetted to his regiment in September 1913 and joined the 1st Battalion in India, remaining with it at Quetta until it was recalled to form part of the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force. He was promoted Lieutenant in September 1914, and was killed in action on Sunday, 25th April 1915, at Sedd-el-Bahr, Gallipoli Peninsula, while trying to pull a wounded man back into cover. It is curious to note that de Lusignan, supposed to be the last of his line, met his death in battle with the Turks, fighting against whom his ancestors centuries before, helped to make history. Lieutenant de Lusignan was a member of the Public Schools Club and of the Cavendish Club, Piccadilly.                               The Bond of Sacrifice, Volume 2, Page 126.

Dear Mrs De Lusignan,
I am writing to express my deepest sorrow for your loss and to let you know that he died like a gallant gentlemen. He and I and 100 men had a special job apart from the rest of the Battalion. We had to land round the south side of Sedd-El-Bahr and Captain Johnston to the north of it. I sent him to the left with a party of men to join up with Johnston who I afterwards heard was held up with the Battalion on the beach and never reached the village at all, while I went right according to orders.
By midday we were kicked out of the village back to the fort at the end of it. His party was also out numbered and a wounded man lay in the middle of the street being sniped to death when the dear old prince tried to pull him back into cover and was at what no one else dared to do it. I feel sure you would like to know the splendid manner of his death. I heard all this from one of his men who survived. I feel very much for you and also for myself because he was a friend of mine.
    Yours very sincerely,
                  John Mood
Transcription of a copy of a letter send to Raymond De Lusignan’s mother by Captain Mood, 1st Royal Dublin Fusiliers, from the Anglo American Hospital, Cairo, 8th May 1915, where Mood was recovering from his wounds. (Austin Fennessy - Private collection)

Other Notes: Lieutenant de Lusignan’s Medal Index Card does not give a date for his entry into the Gallipoli Theatre of Operations; his Index Card shows him as “Killed in action  25/4/1915”. Lieutenant de Lusignan is reported to have been killed in action while trying to pull a wounded man back into cover on the “25/4/15”. His Medal Index Card shows his mother “Mrs. F. de Lusignan, of 2, Mandeville Place, London”, applying for her late son’s medals on 23/6/1919.
census notes: The 1911 English Census shows Lieutenant de Lusignan’s widowed mother, Flora E. H. (aged 52), residing at, No. 29 Holland Road, Hove, Sussex, she stated that during her marriage she had two children, both of whom were alive at the time of the Census. The 1901 English Census shows the de Lusignan family (residing at, No. 29, Holland Road, Hove) as follows; Henry M. (Living on own means, aged 63) and  Flora E (aged 42) and their children,  Raymond (aged 7) and Sybil (aged 4); his maternal grandmother was also present, Amelia M. Park (Widow, aged 65).
Special Notes: Lieutenant de Lusignan is listed on the IWM records as “killed in action, April 25, 1915”, no location is given for his death; this date is also listed in Officers Died in the Great War and “Neill’s Blue Caps” and his Medal Index Card. The CWGC show his date of death as “26/4/15.”
Grave/Memorial: Special Memorial B. 29. V Beach Cemetery.
Other Memorials: Lieutenant de Lusignan is commemorated on the Hove Library World War 1 Memorial, Hove, Sussex and in the Charterhouse School Memorial Chapel, Charterhouse School, Godalming, Surrey.
IWM Records Page No: Volume II, Page 298.

Edited by Mal Murray - 08 May 2015 at 14:01
To protect our history, we must secure it's future.
MichaelBully View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MichaelBully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 21:09
That's great Mal .
I am hoping to get to the Hove Library Archive tomorrow to see what else I can find out about De Lusignan.
What an incredible account of one's man bravery. Feel stunned reading about such courage.
Seems that De Lusignan was from one of the Hove families which had strong military connections and he was already serving before the Great War.  Such families also seemed to establish a link with India at some point.
Might also try to seek out local paper obituaries , as often consult the papers at Brighton History Centre.
Regards and Thanks once more, Michael Bully
The Ancient Sages said, 'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon'.
MichaelBully View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MichaelBully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 13:59
Have been to Hove Library to consult the Roll of Honour file : The borough librarian John Lister established an archive in honour of Hove's Great War, writing to their families for further information about the men, along with photos, newspaper obituaries.
A form was completed by Raymond's de Lusignan's mother, confirming that his address at the time he was killed in action, was 29 Holland Rd. Hove Sussex.
(Date of birth ) February 13th 1894

(Education) At Marlborough House, The Drive, Hove and at Charterhouse, when he passed into Sandhurst 1911

We learn that his occupation was 'soldier' and his marital status was 'single'.

Served : 1st Royal Dublin Fusiliers
             1913 2nd Lieutenant

1915 full Lieutenant

Died on Sunday April 25th 1915

Killed in Action at Sedd-el-Bahr

Only son of Late Henry Macomottie de Lusignan and Mrs. de Lusignan

Lieutenant Raymond de Lusignan joined his regiment in India in 1913.

Mrs. J de Lusignan then signed the form, giving her address at 2 Mandeville Place, Wigmore Street, London W1
It seems that Mrs. J. de Lusignan donated a photograph of her son to the archive as well.
The Ancient Sages said, 'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon'.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic