The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Research > Individuals Research/Profiles > Request for Research Assistance regards Individuals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

Hamo Sassoon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MichaelBully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hamo Sassoon
    Posted: 30 May 2012 at 21:13
Has anyone researched the life of Siegfried Sassoon's brother Hamo ? I understand that Hamo died of wounds incurred at Gallipoli on board a hospital ship on 1st November 1915, but am trying to find out where  he was initially wounded at Gallipoli.
Jean Moorcoft-Wilson's biography 'Siegfried Sassoon- The Making of a war Poet 1886-1918'
is quite vague about Hamo's death but mentions that he was a 2nd Lieutenant with the Royal Engineers.
Looking at Max Egremont 'Siegfried Sassoon-A Biography' -it seems that Hamo was hit in the leg by a sniper, whilst putting out wire, not crying out for help so as to avoid giving away his position on 28th October 1915. The wound turned septic. Also be interested to hear of the hospital ship that he was on.
Regards, Michael Bully

The Ancient Sages said, 'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon'.
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 09:08
Hi Michael,

Posting from my iPhone so excuse the brevity.

If I remember correctly Hamo Sassoon w's taken on board the Hospital ship Kildonan Castle.

Will check it out further later on.

Mal

Edited by Mal Murray - 31 May 2012 at 19:07
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 19:25
Hi Michael,

It would appear that he was serving as an officer with the Royal Engineers at Suvla Bay 
I found this information regarding the Kildonan Castle and posted it on the forum, hope you find it of assistance.

Edited by Mal Murray - 31 May 2012 at 20:31
MichaelBully View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MichaelBully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 20:47
Many thanks Mal. The story of SS Kildonan Castle seems to have been quite incredible.
I have asked the Siegfried Sassoon Fellowship ( I am a member ) for more information.
Their response also mentions SS Kildonan Castle, and suggest that Hamo Sassoon was shot in the leg in the leg on 28th October 1915 at Suvla Bay, as already stated. Looked like Hamo was going to have his leg amputated but the wound had already become septic and he died on 1st November 1915. He was burried at sea.
Regards, Michael Bully
Found this poem on 'Poem Hunter' website.

To My Brother

Give me your hand, my brother, search my face;
Look in these eyes lest I should think of shame;
For we have made an end of all things base.
We are returning by the road we came.

Your lot is with the ghosts of soldiers dead,
And I am in the field where men must fight.
But in the gloom I see your laurell’d head
And through your victory I shall win the light.

Siegfried Sassoon

The Ancient Sages said, 'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon'.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 16:36
Michael,

I have found an entry for Hamo in DE Ruvigy's Roll of honour which describes what happened to him using extracts from a letter from his C.O. I will post it as soon as possible.

Mal
MichaelBully View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MichaelBully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 12:39
That would be fabulous Mal, look forward to reading it. Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic