The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Research > Medals Research > Medal Research and Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

Keeping medals storage and ribbons

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Keeping medals storage and ribbons
    Posted: 19 May 2012 at 12:53
Not sure if this is the best place for this feel free to move to an appropriate area.

I have been trying to find an appropriate storage display case for my great-grandfathers WW1 medals, but having tried various medal magazines, surfed the net etc haven't really found anything. The medals are:

The Victory Medal, The British Medal, The Star Medal and The Memorial Plaque. 

Also I am missing the actual ribbons attached to the medals has anybody been able to buy these anywhere??

thanks
Paul

Peter Trounson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Trounson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 14:08
G'day Paul,

Medal ribbons are readily obtainable. Most good numismatics stores would be able to supply the ribbons. If you can't afford to do it now, in time if they were for my own relatives medals I would buy the same medals (not as a group as it will be cheaper) but buying for the quality of the original ribbon rather than the actual medal, switch the ribbons over then sell the surplus medals with the new ribbons attached.

I would go to a proper print framing shop who will be able to cut and mount the medals and plaque onto suitable acid free card stock and then use proper filtering glass which minimizes the damage caused by normal light which would eventually cause the ribbons to fade and decay. This is of course if you want to display it on a wall which is my preference unless you have a heap of items to display in which case a custom made box may be the best bet.

People have their own view as to how to present the medals but I prefer not to have them polished but to display them in their natural state but as I say that is a personal decision and you can argue either way on that one. This is how I would approach your problem but no doubt there are many ways to approach it.

Strewth, back to work before the gatekeeper catches me out!

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by Peter Trounson - 19 May 2012 at 18:39
ANZACPRIDE
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 15:42
Paul when I get a chance on Monday I will send you a sample layout for medals and plaque.

Mal
paulc View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2012 at 13:27
Thanks Peter and Mal for the help, i will certainly have a look at purchasing medals with original ribbons. I will have a look again online to see if i can track down the appropriate ribbons for the medals.
Will wait to see your sample layout as well as hopefully will be exactly what i am looking for.
thanks
paul
Krithia View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krithia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2012 at 17:09
Just following on from the chaps above, displaying with the original ribbons is a must and look far nicer than the poor nylon ribbons on the market. I buy my ribbons from eBay. A set of three for the trio will cost you approximately £25.

Good luck, Stephen
paulc View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 09:30
Thanks Stephen any sellers on eBay that you reccommend
Krithia View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krithia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2012 at 14:04
Paul, just sent you a message, but really no. The feedback rating system on eBay is open to abuse, but in general I think you should be able to trust those with a five star rating, and if you pay by paypal, this gives some added insurance if they turn out to be not as the description implies. If you want some help identifying if the ribbons are correct or not, feel free to send me a private message and I will do my best to confirm this. Rgs S
paulc View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 21:29
Thanks Stephen will take a look and get back to you
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic