The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Research > Individuals Research/Profiles > Biographies of British Forces Personnel
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Captain David Reginald Salomons (Drowned 28/10/15)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

Captain David Reginald Salomons (Drowned 28/10/15)

 Post Reply Post Reply
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Joined: 22 Apr 2010
Location: Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 2366
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Captain David Reginald Salomons (Drowned 28/10/15)
    Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 14:14
The following profile is a combination of information extracted from differt locations. (The url's shown below will bring the researcher to these locations).
Captain David Reginald Salomons (1885 – 1915)
Drowned as a result of teh collision of HMS Hythe and the SS Sarnia at Gallipoli.
Only son of David Lionel Salomons and Laura de Stern.
Picture of David Reginald Salomons

Known as Reginald or Reggie to his family and friends, the third David Salomons was brought up at Broomhill and educated at Eton and at Gonville and Caius College , Cambridge , which had also been his father's college. He then started training as a lawyer.

After Cambridge he travelled widely; first to France , Italy and Spain , and then to the East. In 1910 he and his cousin, Arthur Paget, spent two and a half months exploring Japan , travelling many hundreds of miles by train, horse, rickshaw, boat and on foot. Arthur had previously travelled in Japan , and married there in 1911. Reginald was greatly impressed by the people and the scenery and, on his return to England , took lessons in Japanese and established links with the Japanese consulate.

Reginald wrote an account of his travels, An Outsider's Impression of Japan , under the name R. Nagano. Although never published, it gives an interesting description of the Japan of 1910 and of his reaction to the country and its peoples. He seems to have been particularly interested in Japanese religious beliefs and culture, remarking “Every religion gives a different theory as to what happens after death, but none have been absolutely proved; personally I incline to the Buddhist theory, a great deal of which science has proved to be correct”. The Salomons' tradition of religious tolerance and interest in science was clearly present in the third generation.

David Reginald Salomons, First World War hero
David Reginald Salomons.

'David Reginald Salomons.'

On 11 October 1915 the 231 men of 1/3 ( Kent ) Field Company sailed out of Devonport, bound for the eastern Mediterranean and Gallipoli. Many did not come back; amongst them David Reginald Salomons, only son and heir of Sir David Lionel Salomons. Like so many in that terrible war, he died a hero's death.

After his time at Cambridge University and his travels to Europe and Japan , David Reginald Salomons became involved with the Territorial Army and the training of army cadets. He was commissioned with the Kent Fortress Engineers and completed officer training at Chatham .

In the period leading up to the First World War there was growing concern about increased military activity in Germany , so new British army detachments were built up as a response to this threat.

Reginald's father, Sir David Lionel Salomons, was appointed an Honorary Colonel in the Kent Fortress Engineers and was influential in establishing a new cadet detachment in Southborough, near Tunbridge Wells, in 1912. Second Lieutenant David Reginald Salomons was appointed to command the Detachment and to recruit young men from the area. Sir David paid for the conversion of the old gas works into a drill hall and parade ground. After training and building up the force the Detachment was promoted to a Works Company and Captain Alfred Ruston was given command.

After the First World War broke out in August 1914, 3 Works Company was mobilised and moved to the Kent Fortress Engineers base at Gillingham . Here they continued training and became established as the best bridge-building unit in the Kent Fortress Engineers. It June 1915 it was re-formed as 1/3 ( Kent ) Field Company; Alfred Ruston was promoted to Major and Reginald Salomons to Captain.

On 11 October 1915 the 1/3 ( Kent ) Field Company left Devonport docks – just too late to be included in the War Cabinet's decision of the previous day to stop sending any more troops to Gallipoli.

The voyage out to the eastern Mediterranean was uneventful. At Mudros Bay , Turkey , most of the Company transferred to a smaller ship, the HMS Hythe, to transfer them to Helles. Major Ruston described what happened on 28 October 1915:

“We had sailed from Mudros about 4 p.m. in a small sweeper, the Hythe. It was a rough and squally day and … a great number of the men were seasick. However, we had almost reached our destination [about 8 p.m.] and were beginning to think about disembarking when suddenly a large vessel loomed out of the darkness and in spite of all efforts to avoid a collision it ran into us, cutting deep into our port bow and bringing down the foremast. In ten minutes the vessel sank, leaving numbers struggling in the water or hanging on to spars and other floating matter. The boats of the other vessel did all they could and picked up many poor fellows – but all too few, for nearly 130 men drowned.”

The vessel that had run into the overcrowded Hythe was another British troop ship, the Sarnia , which was returning to Mudros Bay having left her passengers at Helles.

The Kent (Fortress) Royal Engineeers carrying out bridge-building exercises.

'The Kent (Fortress) Royal Engineeers carrying out
bridge-building exercises.'

Some of the men were killed by the actual collision, some were trapped in the sinking ship, and others were drowned in the chaos that followed and in the scramble for the few life-jackets that could be grabbed before the Hythe went down.

Captain Salomons stayed aboard the Hythe to help the men. He was last seen on the bridge of the ship with the Sergeant Major, John Carter, having given away his own life-jacket to someone who did not have one.

One of the rescued men, Driver Frederick Mills, who had been a coachman at Speldhurst, wrote to David Lionel Salomons' head coachman, Mr Nunn, about the actions of Captain Salomons:

“If he was not thinking of others one would imagine he would have gone straight for his own Life Belt of which he had a beauty & would be impossible to sink in that. It is my own opinion if he had thought of himself first he would have been saved, & if I am right he died a Hero's Death & we honour him. I am not asked to write this but I am sure that every man would say the same. His name is repeated daily. Infact him & all our comrades cannot be forgotten.”

One hundred and fifty four soldiers and crew died that night, over eighty from the Southborough and Tunbridge Wells area. Several of the survivors were subsequently killed or injured at Gallipoli or later campaigns.

The full story of the Hythe disaster can be found in the book Southborough Sappers of the Kent (Fortress) Royal Engineers by Frank A. Stevens (2000).

There is a further twist in the tragedy of the overcrowded and insufficiently equipped troop ship. The Hythe, a cross-channel cargo steamer, was requisitioned from its owners, the South East and Chatham Railways, a company of which David Lionel Salomons was a director.

Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.12
Copyright ©2001-2012 Web Wiz Ltd.