The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Research > Medals Research > Medal Research and Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

Royal Army Temperance Association Medallion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NormanC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Royal Army Temperance Association Medallion
    Posted: 22 Nov 2011 at 14:11

I have a Royal Army Temperance Association medallion with my grandfathers medals, issued, I assume for a period of abstinence from the demon drink between 1914-15.

The medal itself is undated and portrays George and the Dragon on the front with intertwined letters, “RATA”  and “Watch and be Sober” on a scroll on the rear. It is undated and appears to be silver coloured metal possibly black lacquered.

I would particularly like to identify the correct ribbon for this version

There appears to be a wide variety of both medal and ribbons. 

I have seen this particular medallion on a dealer’s auction site with what was described as a silver coloured ribbon and would seek to confirm whether this was the correct one, before I try to source and purchase one.

Regards

Norman

Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2011 at 14:23
Hi Norman,

Take a look at this webpage it shows several types of Temperance Medals. It would appear that this chap has written a book on the subject.

You might have to match the medal you have with the relevant Ribbon as I can see only one medal dfisplayed with St George on it.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Mal Murray - 22 Nov 2011 at 14:28
NormanC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NormanC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 11:52
Hello Mal
Appreciated.
Not the one shown in the link, I'll have to have sight of the book , it may be well be listed inside.
This ones St George & Dragon on a 30mm disc,  slighter larger than 2pence.
Thank you once again.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 11:56
Perhaps if you uploaded a photo of the front and back of the medal, we might be able to work it out.

Save the hassle of buying the book.

Mal
NormanC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NormanC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2011 at 21:35
Hello Mal
Thank you photo attached  (hopefully)
Regards Norman

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 16:06
Norman,

The following is very similar to the medal you posted. The only differance I can see is the date under St. George and the Dragon, but it has a siver ribbon, so we could be on the right track.

The site where I got the photo is in relation to the Duke of York's Military School and the article may be viewed here.

NormanC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NormanC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 19:01
Hello Mal
Thank you. You could be on the right track as the medal I saw on the dealers site was a silver ribbon.
Unless anyone comes across anything to the contrary, I'll probably purchase a silver ribbon if I come across one.
Regards
Norman
NormanC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NormanC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2012 at 12:07
Thanks Mal
Have managed to buy a length of Ribbon on E bay
I believe it is called " Old Silver " as you highlighted.
Previously tried a few ribbon dealers without success but a length appeared on E bay over weekend which I secured.
Thanks again
Best wishes for 2012
Regards
Norman
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 09:30
No problem Norman, delighted to have been of assistance.

Happy new year to you and yours.

Mal
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic