The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Research > Individuals Research/Profiles > Request for Research Assistance regards Individuals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

19169 Private Harry Taylor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 19169 Private Harry Taylor
    Posted: 11 Oct 2011 at 20:38
Hi,
 Firstly I moved this post tfrom where you posted it originally so that you may get a wider viewing from Association members who may be able to help you in your research.

The information I have on Private Harry Taylor 1st Bn King's Own Scottish Borderers is as follows;

Born: Leith, Midlothian

Resided: Falkirk, Stirling

Enlisted: Falkirk, Stirling

The 1st Bn KOSB were part of the 87th Bde of the 29th Division.

His Medal Index Card shows him as entering the Gallipoli Theatre of Operations on the 24/9/1915 and also Died of wounds on 6/1/1916.

As you stated in your post he died on board the Gloucester Castle, he is commemorated on the Helles Memorial (Panel 84 to 92 or 220 to 222.),therefore it is most likely that he died at sea and was buried at sea.

The Battalion War Diary for the 24th Sept 1915 shows them as moving to Imbros for a rest period, so it would appear that Harry was at Imbros when his Battalion arrived. Interestingly the Diary entry for 26th September states; "2nd Lt G.C. Heseltine 9th East Yorksarrived with a draft of 100 NCO's and men of 9th KOSB's" it is  most likely that Harry was one of this draft of reinforcements.

His Battalion War Diary for the period 1 Jan 1916 to 6 Jan 1916 shows approx 13 soldiers as wounded during this period (along with others killed in action). During this period his Battalion was mainly employed in blocking trenches in preparation for the General evacualtion. Unfortunatly he is not named in any of these entries.

He is named in the Scottish Roll of honour in the Scottish National War Memorial, Edinburgh Castle.

I hope this is of use.

Mal

Edited by Mal Murray - 11 Oct 2011 at 20:55
REID6252 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REID6252 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2011 at 19:44
hi i'am trying to find any information on a harry taylor number19169 died of wounds 6th jan on the hospital ship HMHS GLOUCESTER CASTLE any more information will be gratefull 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic