Forum Description: Photographs of Land Operations
Printed Date: 25 Mar 2018 at 02:38
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.12 -

Topic: Despatch Riders
Posted By: Peter Trounson
Subject: Despatch Riders
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 12:29
The original can be viewed at -: -

Note what appears to be an Australian amongst this group of despatch riders.

Posted By: Mal Murray
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 15:43
According to the recent edition of the Gallipolian (No. 128 Spring 2012) This phot was taken at Mudros.

Posted By: Rob L.
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2013 at 20:13
One of my favourite WW1 photographs - all motorcycles appear to be Douglas 2 3/4 HP models, very popular during the war with despatch riders along with the heavier Triumph Model H

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2013 at 12:07
There was a photograph posted on Facebook which I will try and copy to hear of Douglas motorcycles belonging to 29th Division after having been burnt to destroy them - wouldn't surprise me if it's some of the same ones pictured here

Posted By: Hadley1895
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 22:34
As a matter of fact, my grandfather appears on the beach photograph of the despatch riders. The picture was taken by a Daily Mirror photographer on 'W' Beach some time in May 1915 and posted on the front page under the heading 'Our Boys in the Dardanelles'. My grandfather, along with those in the picture, was an A.S.C. despatch rider and remained on the peninsula until August after being taken-off suffering from Dysentery and Malaria. I wrote an account of his experiences for the UK motorcycling magazine 'The Classic Motorcycle' around ten years ago, together with a selection of photographs from his private collection. By the way, apparently the Duggies used in the campaign were actually buried rather than torched. Hope this helps to put the record straight.Big smile

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 22:39
Welcome to the forum.

Perhaps you might consider posting a bio profile of your grandfather on our roll of honour of those who served.

Best regards

To protect our history, we must secure it's future.

Posted By: Hadley1895
Date Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 02:43
I'd be delighted to. I'm in Australia at the moment returning to UK the end of Feb, so will be happy to so on my return.

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 09:55
Excellent, if you need any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Safe journey home.

To protect our history, we must secure it's future.

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 12:51
Excellent, thanks - any idea where the Douglas' were buried? A friend of mine restores and rides WW1 motorcycles - including a Douglas - no doubt if he finds out he'll be packing me off with a spade on my September trip!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.12 -
Copyright ©2001-2012 Web Wiz Ltd. -