The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Gallipoli Association forum > Going to Gallipoli
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

Safe to explore Gallipoli alone?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CUNNINGHAM6193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Safe to explore Gallipoli alone?
    Posted: 05 May 2011 at 14:02
Good afternoon,

I have just been told that there might be some funding within my department for me to take a preliminary trip to Gallipoli this year as part of my phd research, but it doesn't look like I will be able to afford to take a companion along.

How safe is it to explore the peninsula on my own? Are there well-marked trails? What is the likelihood that I will end up lost in a ravine somewhere?

I am also looking into renting a car for the week, but the only prices I am finding online are from the major airports and I have heard it is much cheaper to rent out of Canakkale or Eceabat.  I also have the problem that I need to have the money spent by the end of July- either in the field or pre-paid. Any advice?

I am still trying to settle on some dates (trying to meet up with a contact in Istanbul), but if anyone happens to be there at the same time and would be up for walking all over the place I'd love some company.

thanks,
 Angela

Angela Cunningham
PhD student
Department of Geography, Geology and the Environment
Faculty of Science
Kingston University London
CUNNINGHAM6193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CUNNINGHAM6193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2011 at 14:14
oh, should note that I will most likely be working either in Helles or Suvla (apparently I will be stepping on the toes of another project contributor if I try to do my research in Anzac)
Angela Cunningham
PhD student
Department of Geography, Geology and the Environment
Faculty of Science
Kingston University London
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 12:04
Angela,

I have just been in touch with our Membership Secretary John Crowe who is only back from a trip to the Peninsula, I have forwarded him on the details of your post, and he will contact you soon to see if he can asssist you.

Regards,

Mal
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic