The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Roll of Honour of the Fallen - Gallipoli Campaign > Roll of Honour New Zealand Battalion/Regiments > Wellington Mounted Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

Dickenson Alfred, Tpr, KIA 30/5/1915

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dickenson Alfred, Tpr, KIA 30/5/1915
    Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 19:04
Trooper Dickinson's CWGC page may be located here (note the CWGC spell his surname as "Dickenson");

Name: DICKENSON, ALFRED
Initials: A
Nationality: New Zealand
Regiment/Service: Wellington Mounted Rifles, N.Z.E.F.
Date of Death: 30/05/1915
Service No: 11/417
Additional information: Brother of Mr. E. J. Dickenson, of Fordell, Wanganui.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: 72.
Memorial: LONE PINE MEMORIAL

His Newzealand War Memorial Cenotaph Database (Auckland Musuem) page may be viewed here;

Full Name: Alfred Dickinson
Rank Last Held: Trooper
Forename(s): Alfred
Surname: Dickinson
Also Known As:
  • Dickenson
  • Alf
War: World War I, 1914-1918
Serial No.: 11/417
First Known Rank: Trooper
Next of Kin: E.J. Dickinson (brother), Fordell, Wanganui, New Zealand
Marital Status: Single
Enlistment Address: Care of Gibsons Limited, Hawera, Taranaki, New Zealand
Military District: Wellington
Body on Embarkation: Main Body
Embarkation Unit: Wellington Mounted Rifles
Embarkation Date: 16 October 1914
Place of Embarkation: Wellington, New Zealand
Transport:
Vessel: Orari or Arawa
Destination: Suez, Egypt
Nominal Roll Number: Vol1
Page on Nominal Roll: 188
Last Unit Served: Wellington Mounted Rifles
Place of Death: Gallipoli, Turkey
Date of Death: 30 May 1915
Age at Death: 27
Year of Death: 1915
Cause of Death: Killed in action
Memorial Name: Lone Pine Memorial, Lone Pine Cemetery, Anzac, Turkey
Memorial Reference: 72.
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 19:10

Some of his comrades wrote letters to his family telling them of his death;

The Trenches 3-6-'15
Dear Mr Dickinson,
You have my sympathy in the loss of your gallant brother. He was one of a little band of heroes who held an outpost in the face of overwhelming odds for 28 hours. He and others perished in the attempt before the post was relieved, the marvel being that any returned.  The affair will be an obscure incident in a great war, but nevertheless it might easily have been another "Rouke's Drift".
Our wounded were bought out with incredible difficulty, and your brother died on the journey to the dressing station. We buried him there, on the spur of Walker's Ridge, rising steeply from the sea and commanding and exquisite view of sea and land, with Islands in the near distance; the place being known as "Fisherman's Hut", towards midnight on Sunday the 30th May, after repulsing an attack of the enemy, in which four more were wounded. You may well be proud in your sorrow, that your brother died at the post of duty, like a good soldier, giving his life with so many more for the liberties of the world. That God our Father may comfort and succour you and all who loved him, is the prayer of -

Yours in sincerest sympathy,
William Grant, C.F.

[ Letter written by 11/86 William Grant, Chaplin of the Forces, Major. MiD.
Later Killed in Action Gallipoli
28th August 1915 ]
and Another condolence letter written by Archie Cameron (Epsom, Surrey, England 20 October 1915) to Alfred's sister " ... I was so pleased you received my message. You can't imagine how hard it was for me to write. As I know the bond of love between brother and sister could not be greater. Poor Alf, he was always speaking of you as his favourite sister. I felt his death more than my own poor brother who was killed on April 25 on landing at the Dardanelles. I shall never forget May 30th. We came into contact with the Turks about 2 o'clock on Sunday morning... At dawn the Turkish snipers got busy they got a number of our brave boys, so poor Major Elmslie who got killed in August called five of us to locate them Alf & myself were chosen for the mission. We crawled through the rough scrub we came within about thirty yards from the Turks there was about 20 of them hidden behind some thick scrub on our right flank. We took up position unnoticed by the enemy, we accounted for almost the lot. Poor Alf he said to me 'well Archie if we don't get out of this alive we have done good work'. About 10 minutes later the poor boy got shot, the shot went through the front of my tunic & entered his side. I caught him in my arms he put his arms around my neck he only smiled & asked me to send you a message and also Miss Rands, we buried him at the number 2 post. We engraved a large stone for his grave. And there I left my best mate & faithful friend. He died for a just cause freedom * Christianity & I am sure our good God will reward all who died for the same cause. I am leaving for the front shortly I am now on furlough I extend to you my deepest sympathy. And many thanks for your kind wishes. I remain sincerely yours Archie Cameron"

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 19:13
The following Photographs (and others related to him)  may be viewed in context at Tpr Dickinson's page on the Auckland Musuem Cenotaph Database.

Edited by Mal Murray - 14 Feb 2011 at 19:15
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 19:14
Trooper Dickinson's original gravestone; Photograph taken by James Cornelius Read (1915).

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic