The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Gallipoli Association forum > Going to Gallipoli
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

How to find a tour of Gallipoli

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to find a tour of Gallipoli
    Posted: 03 Sep 2009 at 07:07
I appreciate that the association organise regular tours of the peninsular but please can anyone recommend an appropriate organisation to use if you wish to visit outside of an association organised tour.

Thanks for your assistance

Justin
dawntreader57 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dawntreader57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2009 at 11:16
Justin

Hi, me again!

Well, there are various levels that you can opt into. Ledger do a Peninsula tour, as do Battle Field Honours at http://www.battle-honours.co.uk/ and a number of other battlefield tour companies will do the same. You already know about Len Seller's RND specific tours I think. Ledger are expensive but very comprehensive. Most others will be aorund the £900 - 1100 mark for say 7 nights. some include a night or 2 in Istanbul.

I have always erred towards DIY, and if you can bear the slightly increased hassle of booking things independently then you can save a great deal of money. here's a quick guide. The 'visit' page on my Gully Ravine website at www.gullyravine.org.uk also covers much of the ground below.

Fly with BA or Turkish Air to Istanbul Ataturk airport. (You can get cheaper flights to Istanbul's second airport, Sabiha Gocken, but you then have to get right through Istanbul to the west side, analogous to Stansted to Heathrow. Hard work, and in the end the loss of time and cost of buses soemwhat offsts the flight savings).

From Ataturk, get the Turkish Air internal flight down to Canakkale. Its about £40 and 55 minutes. The alternatives are to hire a car, which is costly and a lot of hassle unless you have already got some experience of Turkish road conditions(!) or to get a coach. The drawback with the coach is that you have to get a train from the airport to the coach station and then its a five hour run.

At Canakkale, you are on the southern side of the straits, and I would recommend staying on the north side, in Eceabat, even though it is not as big as Canakkale as has less facilities. Otherwise, every day will mean adding 2 hours for ferry crossings.

Cross the straight on the walk-on ferry, equivalent to about 70p.

Consider staying at the Eceabat Hotel (http://www.anzacgallipolitours.com/) or at the Gallipoli Houses with association member Eric Goossens, (http://www.gallipoli.com.tr/). Both will offer guiding days, and with a locally hired car you ca be free to do your own exploring too.  The former is right opposite the ferry landing, whilst Eric is about 8 miles away in the hills behind Anzac.

Local car hire from Gezgin or MIller will save a fortune over hiring at Ataturk Airport and driving down.

I did this kind of trip last year with a few other member for just under £600.

I can supply more details but enough perhaps for now ...

Andy

CUNNINGHAM6193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CUNNINGHAM6193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2011 at 13:45

Good afternoon all,

Andy- would you be able to provide some more information about hiring a car out of Eceabat or Canakkale? Is there a website? Is it possible to pre-book?

I am frantically planning a research trip (some funds have become available at the last minute in the department, and I have to bid for them now) and any advice would be greatly appreciated!

thanks,

Angela

Angela Cunningham
PhD student
Department of Geography, Geology and the Environment
Faculty of Science
Kingston University London
paulc View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2017 at 09:45
Hi Everyone, I am considering a trip myself in 2018 to Gallipoli. The above replies are obviously good advice, but can anybody update me with current information applicable to 2018.

Thanks

Paul.
paulc View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2017 at 09:46
I should have added is there an association tour every year?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic