Forum Home Forum Home > Gallipoli Association forum > 2015
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

Suggestion Commemorative Coin to be Struck

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suggestion Commemorative Coin to be Struck
    Posted: 15 Oct 2010 at 17:37
I am aware that the Royal Mint issue commemorative coins for anniversaries and such other events; I believe one was issued for the Anniversery of The R.A.F..

Perhaps a case could could be made for the striking and issue of a coin for the 100th Anniversary of the landings.

Mal

Edited by Mal Murray - 15 Oct 2010 at 17:37
Barry Rees View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Rees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2010 at 18:40
Hi Mal

I think that is a great idea - is this something that should be raised at the AGM on Wednesday?

Regards

Barry
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 10:19
Unfortunately I will be unable to attend by I will throw it up the line to Andy Crooks and John Crowe and see what they think.

Thanks for the response Barry.
Lone Pine View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lone Pine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 23:00
Great idea but may need to put a bit of pressure on them to do this, as for some reason Gallipoli is never talked about. 
Grandaughter of William Pritchard KIA Lone Pine
Lone Pine! Lone Pine!For those who come no more

No bugle call can wake them from their slumber:

Lone Pine! Lone Pine!

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 17:43

On the suggestion of Andy I have e.mailed the Association Chairman and made the initial suggestion.

Edited by Mal Murray - 18 Oct 2010 at 17:43
Lone Pine View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lone Pine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 23:21
Any response Mal about this suggestion
Grandaughter of William Pritchard KIA Lone Pine
Lone Pine! Lone Pine!For those who come no more

No bugle call can wake them from their slumber:

Lone Pine! Lone Pine!

Peter Trounson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Trounson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 04:58
Hi all,

For those interested the Western Australia mint regularly issues commemorative coins for Gallipoli. No doubt a very special issue will be made for 2015. The one for 2011 had only 5000 issued at $107au and has been sold out so when you know they are being issued get in quick! I would think as they have done in the past for any big event they will have three or four tiers of coins ranging from the $20 to the $2-4000 to cater for all types of collectors. (subscribing to their newsletter is the way to go). I would also expect that the various education departments within Australia will also issue medallions to the school children. 

Below is the URL that accesses the page concerning the coins.

Regards,

Peter
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 17:36
Peter,

Many thanks for posting this.

Mal
aim2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aim2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2017 at 19:14
I have only recently found out that the Royal Mint struck a special FIVE POUND coin commemorating the Gallipoli landings in 2015.

It was one of a set of six World War 1 FIVE POUND coins. The set cost £465-00 , but that web page has been taken down now.

aim2
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic