The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Research > Individuals Research/Profiles > Request for Research Assistance regards Individuals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

Alexander Weldon Molony

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pjwmacro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alexander Weldon Molony
    Posted: 09 May 2017 at 00:44
http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?/topic/249901-alexander-weldon-molony/#comment-2521994

Looking for any assistance in the subsequent career of Capt A W Molony, 1 Dubs Fus, who I believe went ashore from the R Clyde on 25 Apr and was subsequently wounded. He is quoted in Philip Lecannes Beneath a Turkish Sky - quoting from Neills Blue Caps. I believe Alexander subsequently promoted Maj, was attached to MGC(M) as OC 22 Bty on NWF in 3rd Afghan War - where he was my grandfathers OC. Believe died 15 Jul 53. Very curious to know if he has surviving descendants, whether he has papers or photos left onrecord somewhere. I believe his service record still held by MoD so looking for death certificate to access.
Thanks
Paul
Paul Macro
Pjwmacro View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pjwmacro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 08:19
Death certificate received. Confirms date of death 15 Jul 53. Royal Cancer Hospital London. Of Hale Cottage, Frimley, Surrey. Lt Col retired. Death notified by brother C W (Claude Weldon) Molony. Assume Alexander had no children???. Will apply for service record from MoD.

Regards, Paul
Paul Macro
Pjwmacro View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pjwmacro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 23:58
Update on Maj A W Molony. I have now heard back from APC Glasgow - they do not have a record of Service, for Alexander Weldon Molony. However, they have sent me sufficient information from his p file to confirm OC 22 MMG Battery in India and Capt A W Molony 1 R Dub Fusiliers, W Coy. onboard the SS River Clyde at V Beach Gallipoli 25 Apr 1915, are one and the same! In particular his AF B103 confirms he was wounded at Gallipoli and casevaced to UK, Plymouth, via Malta. He was discharged from hospital in Plymouth in 15 Jun on 2 months sick leave. There are no specific details about his wound. i'd be interested in opinions as to the likelihood of him getting off the River Clyde and onto to the beach? What percentage of W Coy actually got onto the beach at all? And where they did were they mostly killed or died of wounds?

Alexander was seconded to MGC in Oct 15 (already knew this from Gazette entry) and posted to Command 22 Battery MGC(Motors) at Bisley in Nov 15. He was going back to UK in Apr 19, but this was delayed by the 3rd Afghan War and he shipped back to UK in Oct 19 on HMT Huntsgreen. He was discharged from the Regular Army Reserve of Officers in May 1934 - due to age but was recalled to service in India in WW2 between Aug 40 and Jan 43. On leaving the Army in 1920's he obviously returned to India as his emergency mobilisation record says he resided in India in a civil capacity 1921 to 1928. He also says he was in S Africa 1937, and that on leaving the "Army became Trainer of Racehorses and managed large racing stable". He records he was educated at Bedford College 1895-1901.

Regards, Paul
Paul Macro
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic