The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Gallipoli Association forum > New members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glyn1959 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Member
    Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 22:33
Hi all, I am researching my grandfather Thomas Evans (Service Number 60131) who served in the RAMC in Gallipoli.
Information I have so far:

From medal card:
Medals received: Victory medal, British medal, 1915 Star and Silver War Badge
Theatre first entered: 2B/Balkans
Date of entry: 18.10.15

From Silver War Badge Roll:
Enlistment date:14.06.15 (Private)
Discharge date: 27.11.19 (Acting Corporal)

I'm interested in his movements and what regiment his RAMC unit was attached to and any other information that can be pieced together.

I also have three photographs of him and colleagues in temporary hospitals (back in the UK i think) that i would be happy to post to see if anyone can identify the location or shed any light at all on them.

Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

I'm very much looking forward to using this site.

Best regards, Glyn 

Krithia View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krithia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 23:12
Welcome to the forum and Association Glyn.

There is no easy way to tell from this information which unit Thomas Evans was in, but from his 5-digit service number this may lead to it being a regular division. There was only one regular division at Gallipoli, the 29th Division.

That said the date of entry into theatre of 18 October 1915 could point to him being a later draft, shipped out to replenish numbers, and this could be to any division, or hospital.

Each division had three Field Ambulances, and there were about 8 - 10 divisions in Gallipoli at that time. It would be a slow process but a look through each war diary (held at The National Archives) for each Field Ambulance may indicate your grandfather joining, although it is rare to find mentions of privates and NCOs. That said he could be attached to a Field Hospital on one of the islands off the Gallipoli coast, so another avenue of search. My tip is to look through the 29th Div Field Ambulance diaries first (86, 87 and 88th Field Ambulances).

Do you have a photo of him in uniform that you could post on the forum ... sometimes the badges give a clue.

Also see http://www.ramc-ww1.com/research.php for some useful advice. The AMS Museum is recommended and has some great information.
Glyn1959 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Glyn1959 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2016 at 09:44
Hi, many thanks for the reply. i will follow your suggestions Smile
In the meantime I am attaching the three photos i mentioned
Photo 1 My grandfather is third from the right on the back row
Photo 2 He is on the extreme right
Photo 3 He is on the extreme left
His eldest daughter (my Aunty) recalls her mother (his wife) visiting him at one of there locations. She thinks it was Warwick (but I have been unable to substantiate this). She recalls her mother saying she had to walk over a poorly lit bridge over a river.

Glyn1959 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Glyn1959 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2016 at 09:46
Sorry, i failed to add to the previous post that any information regarding location, etc., etc re the photos would be greatly appreciated.
Bets regards, Glyn
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic