Forum Home Forum Home > Research > Individuals Research/Profiles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

Information on my Grandfather

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Information on my Grandfather
    Posted: 11 Jul 2016 at 15:16
Hello
I am looking for any information that can be given on my Grandfather, John Powell, D.O.B 1888, at the outbreak of war he lived in Warwick, his son was born in 1916 in Sheffield, where my grandmother had gone to stay with her sister, and on his sons birth certificate it says he was a driver in the Army Service Corps. We know that he worked with horses and served in Gallipoli and whilst there was given or awarded some Silver Spurs but we have been unable to find out what these were given for. We would be very grateful for any information that anyone can provide on this.
Many thanks
Linda
Thank you
Linda
aim2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aim2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2016 at 19:13
Linda,

Can you give us any more information?

Where was he born?
Did he have any other Christian names?
If you have his medals (he should have received at least three) can you tell us his army number(s) from the edge inscription?

About 24 John Powell births were registered in 1888, and there are WWI Medal Index Cards for four John Powells (there are lots more for people with more Christian names).

Have you seen "The Long, Long, Trail" web-site?

Good luck with your search (lots or WWI service records got bombed in WWII),

aim2
petlin View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2016 at 19:24
Hi aim2,
I don't have much more information, he didn't have any other Christian names, he was born in Barford, Warwickshire on 3rd August 1888. I don't have any of his medals and I don't now where they are, so not very much to go on.

Thank you
Linda
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2016 at 13:51
Hi Linda,

What was his wife's name, do you have an address in Sheffield?
To protect our history, we must secure it's future.
petlin View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 11:23
Hi Mal,
His wife's name was Mary Ann (nee Foskett, the address on his sons birth certificate is, 7 Court 3 House, Sussex St, Sheffield.
Thank you
Linda
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 11:43
Linda,

I have tried several searches but have not been able to positively identify your grandfather.

You mention of the award of spurs could be a clue. You could check the local newspapers for mention of him during the period of the campaign.

If I come across him I will send you the details.

Best regards

Mal
To protect our history, we must secure it's future.
petlin View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote petlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 15:09
Many Thanks Mal
Thank you
Linda
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic