The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Roll of Honour of the Fallen - Gallipoli Campaign > Roll of Honour British Regiments > Royal Army Medical Corps
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

PTE C L GARDINER RAMC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOBANCRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PTE C L GARDINER RAMC
    Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 17:01
Private Charles Lewis GARDINER (99) 54th. (1st/1st. ) East Anglian Casualty Clearing Station, Royal Army Medical Corps (TF), drowned 13th. August 1915, aged 29. Commemorated on the Helles Memorial to the Missing, Seddulbahir, Gallipoli, Turkey, Panels 236 to 239.
Lewis Gardiner was a man of devout faith. He was the son of the late Charles Walter and Mary Ann Gardiner of 23 South Road, and he had three sisters and a brother. He worked for Webb and Brand, Seed and Nurserymen of 10 East Street, at their greenhouses opposite the police-station.. He was also the Superintendent of the Sunday School at Saffron Walden Baptist Church at the top of the High Street.
On the outbreak of hostilities in 1914 Lewis joined the Saffron Walden Voluntary Aid Detachment of the Red Cross before volunteering for foreign service and being attached to the Royal Army Medical Corps (R.A.M.C). At this time the campaign in the Dardanelles at Gallipoli was resulting in a huge loss of life, not only from enemy action, but from disease, which also debilitated the ones who recovered and replacements were urgently required.
Lewis found himself bound for Gallipoli on a transport troopship, the Royal Edward, formerly a Canadian Northern Steamships liner, from Alexandria to the Greek island of Limnos (Lemnos). On Friday August 13th. 1915, off Andileousa Island, about eighteen kilometres south of Kos and near the entrance to the Gulf of Kos (Kerme Korfezi) in the Aegean, where a landfall on the island had become part of the regular route, the troopship was torpedoed by the German submarine UB 14 under the command of Korvettenkapitan Heino von Heimburg.
The 11,000 ton vessel sank in minutes, taking with it Lewis and 867 other men, mostly drafts of the 29th. Division. There were only 500 survivors. Lewis’ body was never found, and his name along with all who lost their lives is on the Helles Memorial, where on a clear day most of the Gallipoli peninsula can be seen, as well as to the south the blue Aegean Sea where Lewis met his God.
Lewis attended the Boys’ British School and is also remembered in the Baptist Church where he worshipped. An enlarged portrait was hung in the Sunday school, an inscribed desk and a pine communion rail were commissioned in his memory. Sadly, the communion rail was destroyed in the Second World War, when soldiers were billeted in the church. A brass plate remains in the archives and the desk is at the back of the lower hall.
ROBERT PIKE
The Victor Heroes.Saffron Walden in the Great War

For Still We Hear Them Singing - Poems; ISBN-10: 1781489106 - ISBN-13: 978-1781489109

ATKIN7010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATKIN7010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 21:16

Bob, under the heading LOCAL CASUALTIES there is an announcement of Pte. Gardiner’s death on p.8 of the Cambridge Independent Press of 03 September 1915.

Walden Man Drowned on the Royal Edward.

Mrs. Gardiner of South-road, Saffron Walden, has received information that her son, Mr. C. L. Gardiner, of the R.A.M.C.. was drowned in the sinking the Royal Edward, the transport that was torpedoed by an enemy submarine in the Aegean Sea. The deceased was well-known and greatly respected in the town.

A poem follows this:

IN MEMORIAM: C.L.Gardiner, R.A.M.C. August 14th. 1915.

Calm is thy sleep beneath the Aegean Sea,

From distant shores – meet requiem o’er thy grave –

Comes back the restless murmur of the wave,

The strong, deep tide of ocean’s harmony.

And o’er the waters’ dawn steals silently.

As once long since, when through the furrows drave,

The foam-swept prows, that bore the Grecian brave,

To shape, at Troy, a nation’s destiny.

Yet naught hath changed, for men still bravely die.

Ages may pass; earth breeds her heroes still.

Naught changes in the unconquerable will,

The life all nobly given, the purpose high;

And Honour cannot die when such as he

Venture their all for sacred Liberty!

E.J.H.

Bob, do you know who E.J.H. was?

Kath.

In Memory of my Grandfather, Richard Henry Polglase, and the other Cornishmen of 18th. Labour Company, A.S.C. who were lost when HMT Royal Edward was torpedoed 13th. August, 1915.

BOBANCRE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOBANCRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 16:11
Kath,
This is very interesting and something I was totally ignorant of, thank you for unearthing it.
Finding who the poet was will be difficult, but I have some avenues to explore and will get back to you once (and if) I have any leads,
Bob
ROBERT PIKE

For Still We Hear Them Singing - Poems; ISBN-10: 1781489106 - ISBN-13: 978-1781489109

ATKIN7010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATKIN7010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 20:00

Bob, I had an idea.

I went on Find My Past 1911 census for Saffron Walden.

I put H**** in the last name line and E in the first name line.

There were 226 results. I then looked for first names with initials E & J.

I found:

born       employ

Hart       Effie Jane            1868  S Fancy Drapery

Harvey Ernest Joseph         1879 M Lab. on farm

Hewlett   Eric John             1879 S  Certificated Assistant Teacher ,

son of Alfred, Retired Bapt Minister.

Other “E.Js.” are young and at school.

Of course some may have omitted their second Christian name.

Eric John Hewlett seems the likely candidate – it is someone who had a classical education.

Kath.

In Memory of my Grandfather, Richard Henry Polglase, and the other Cornishmen of 18th. Labour Company, A.S.C. who were lost when HMT Royal Edward was torpedoed 13th. August, 1915.

BOBANCRE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOBANCRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 07:33
Kath,
I'd come to the same conclusion.I'll run it past the Baptist church Archivist,
Bob

BAPTIST MINISTER

Name:-Alfred Hewlett
Age in 1911:-67
Estimated birth year:-abt 1844
Relation to Head:-Head
Birth Place:-Barnet, Hertfordshire
Civil Parish:-Wendens Ambo
County/Island:-Essex
Street address:-The Willows, Wendens Ambo, Saffron, Walden
Marital Status:-Married
Registration district:-Saffron Walden
Household Members:-Name-Age
Alfred Hewlett -67
Ellen Hewlett -60
Eric John Hewlett -32
Alfred Spenser Hewlett -31

SON
Name:-Eric John Hewlett
Age in 1911:-32
Estimated birth year:-abt 1879
Relation to Head:-Son
Birth Place:-Shepton Mallet, Somerset
Civil Parish:-Wendens Ambo
County/Island:-Essex
Street address:-The Willows, Wendens Ambo, Saffron, Walden
Marital Status:-Single
Registration district:-Saffron Walden
Household Members:-Name-Age
Alfred Hewlett -67
Ellen Hewlett -60
Eric John Hewlett -32
Alfred Spenser -

ROBERT PIKE

ATKIN7010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATKIN7010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 15:31
Thank you, Bob.

I wonder if E.J.H. wrote other poems.

As you say, Gardiner was respected in the Saffron Walden community: the poem shows this and is a moving tribute.

Kath.

BOBANCRE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOBANCRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 17:37
Kath,
Thank you very much for making me aware of this poem, it is of great interest and embellishes the story of poor Lewis. I have been to Gallipoli and have photos of his name on Helles, so if you'd like some please ask.
I have no knowledge of any other poems by him, but there is a war poet of our war memorial, Donald Goold Johnson who produced one slim volume of poetry,
kind regards,
Robert
ROBERT PIKE

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic