The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Gallipoli Association forum > New members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

Post Reply Post Reply
Jefferson7414 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jefferson7414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member
    Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 19:48
I am a new member to the forum. I joined because my grandfather Patrick Kavanagh served with the 1Bn Royal Dublin Fusiliers at 'V' beach. 

I went on Saga Cruise Ship Sapphire last April/May and visited the Gallipoli Peninsula on the 19th April.There were quite a few Anzac passengers and other interested people on board. We visited the British Memorial and other places of interest including Lancashire Landing CWGC cemetery. It was a pity we had only one day to explore the Battlefield before the ship sailed out of the Dardanelles to anchor off the landing beaches. On the morning of the 25th we had a service on board and wreaths were presented. The names of relatives of some passengers who served at Gallipoli were read out,including that of my grandfather. We sailed that night for the Greek Islands and some days later made the transit through the Dardanelles to Istanbul. The Turkish memorial overlooking the gateway to the Dardanelles is an impressive sight from the sea.  Overall it was a truly enlightening experience, and one I would I would like to repeat again.    
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 20:56
Welcome to the Association and Forum.

We would be honoured to enter your grand father on the Roll of Honour of those who served.
Just let me know and we can organise it.

To protect our history, we must secure it's future.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic