Forum Home Forum Home > Research > Research Matters
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

Song of the 29th Division

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSkibiak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Song of the 29th Division
    Posted: 06 Jun 2015 at 11:52

Hello. I have just joined the forum and am hoping someone out there might be able to help me locate the date and publisher of a short newspaper article on one of the 29th Division Association’s annual “Gallipoli Dinners” that took place in London between 1925 and 1935. My grandfather Pte. Alec Hill (16th Middlesex regiment) who was a member of the 29th Division’s concert party, the “Diamond Troupe”, was invited to one of the Gallipoli Dinners to sing the Division’s anthem, “the Song of the 29th”. The performance was subsequently written-up in a short newspaper article, which I have and am trying to date. I suspect that it took place in 1929 because that year the event was held at the Café Royal; and the list of dignitaries reported in another article I found online for that year, matches with only one exception those mentioned in my clipping. But just for my own peace of mind, I would like to be certain.

So any information anyone could provide would be very much welcomed. And for anyone interested in learning more about the Diamond Troupe (or with information to contribute), I recently uploaded the following article to Wikipedia:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Diamond_Troupe. Thanks!

John
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2015 at 17:44
Hi John,

Welcome to the forum, great first post.

I will check and see if I have any thing regarding your query,

Regards

Mal
To protect our history, we must secure it's future.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic