The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Research > Research Matters
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

Horse Barges

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BULLEID6949 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Horse Barges
    Posted: 27 May 2015 at 11:19
Hi

After nearly 5 years here at the Royal Hampshire Regiment Museum in Winchester I was beginning to think that I had heard the majority of the questions about Gallipoli and V Beach in particular, but a new one has just flawed me and I wondered if anyone could help.

The question is where did the barges come from that were used in the landing to transport the horses from ship to shore? Were they made and towed from England or were they picked up in Egypt (or somewhere else)on their way to Gallipoli?

Any comment would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Colin
Peter Trounson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Trounson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 23:37
You are right Colin it is a very interesting question. One has to think back to the times which was when horse power was by far in the main the most common form of transport thus one would could reasonably presume that because the British empire was so large that naval transports for horses would have been relatively common. so from the UK or elsewhere? From the perceived need to the actual need from the word go I think the boats would have been sourced from both the UK and Egypt/Greece whether made locally or from taken from British Naval resources.

Boats would have also been resourced from the Anzacs as they had numerous mounted units in the Middle East at the time and Australia was exporting large amounts of horses to India at the time so they certainly had naval capacity of that type at the time.

Food for thought at least,

Cheers,

Peter
ANZACPRIDE
Rob L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 16:30
Looking at the photos of them they see to be a set design, there must be a drawing and further information on them somewhere. I'm certain the small lighter beached on W Beach is one of these horse barges, the bow and stern certainly seem to match with a cut-out in the stern where the door would be. I'm particularly interested in small craft of the Royal Navy in WW1 up to and including the X Lighters but there seems to be so little information on them and there seem to have been quite a lot used, including motorised gun boats in Belgium in 1914/15

Rob L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2015 at 11:51
Have e-mailed the RN Museum's Library asking if they have any information on these, and the other small lighters etc used in the Gallipoli Campaign - will post on here when I hear back!
Rob L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 17:51
It appears these may be 'Y Lighters', which I've never heard of before - this is all the information I can find on them, the description and size sounds about right:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic