The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Gallipoli Association forum > New members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

Pte Albert Howard

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOWARD7309 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pte Albert Howard
    Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 16:09
Unfortunately the army records of my grandfather, who was a regular soldier, were lost in the fire during the bombing in 1940. He is recorded in Appendix 2 of the book "Glory Is No Compensation" as being with 7 Platoon 1st Bn The Border Regiment on embarkation to Gallipoli and shown in the Times Wounded List dated 2nd August 1915. His medals were lost in a burglary in the early 1950s although I have seen his medal card. I would dearly like to get more information of how casualties were evacuated and the most likeliest places he would have been sent for treatment and recuperation. After his recovery he was obviously not fit for front line service as he was transferred to 4th Garrison Battalion of the Royal Welch Fusiliers and subsequently to the 26th Battalion of the same regiment. Any help or guidance would be much appreciated. Ted Howard
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 16:43
Hi Ted

Welcome to the Association and the Forum.

Do you have his Regt. No.

Regards

Mal
To protect our history, we must secure it's future.
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 16:45
I have a medal Index Card which shows an Albert Howard as Border Regt 8627 (Private) and Royal Welsh Fusiliers 47050 (Corporal). Is that him by any chance?
To protect our history, we must secure it's future.
midshipmanrayley View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote midshipmanrayley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 16:48
Hi Ted,
I was once a member of The Orders and Medals Society and they used to keep a members database of stolen medals. With many medal collecting members, quite a few overseas, they would be the mostly likely to notice stolen medals. If you have the details, name, rank, number, regiment, perhaps you could be reunited with the medals.
Regards John
HOWARD7309 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOWARD7309 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 17:52
Thanks to all for the replies. I can confirm that his regimental numbers were 8267 (Border Regiment) and 47050 (Royal Welch Fusiliers). His rank at Gallipoli was Private but on demob in 1919 he was a Corporal (as shown in the WW1 Service Medal and Award Rolls). It is most pleasing that there may be a slim possibility that his medals could be rediscovered.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic