The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Gallipoli Association forum > Going to Gallipoli
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

Gallipoli aerodrome location?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gallipoli aerodrome location?
    Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 09:30
Does anyone know where the 'emergency  aerodrome' on the Gallipoli peninsula was? Surprised to read that there was one there - especially one large enough to have a dugout to fit an aeroplane! The quote below is by Flight Sub Lieutenant Donald Bremner, 2nd Wing, RNAS, from here http://archive.iwm.org.uk/upload/package/2/gallipoli/pdf_files/GallipoliAirWar.pdf

The engine revs were

dropping rapidly so I couldn't get home so I landed on the emergency aerodrome

on the Peninsula. I cleared the front line trenches by about six feet and just

popped down on the aerodrome. They’d got a dugout there, which was really a

slot in the side of the hill, which would just take an aeroplane and would prevent

direct hits. As soon as I landed the mechanics rushed out and pushed me in

there. I tried to destroy the machine, but they wouldn’t let me set fire to it

because they were evacuating that night. They didn’t want any fire occurring that

might have indicated that we were destroying stores and were about to leave. I

was sent down to W Beach and went onto a lighter. I sat there from about 6

o’clock that evening, till about one o’clock the following morning. I embarked on

SS Partridge which was the second last ship to leave the Peninsula.

Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 22:05
Rob

On my phone, so from memory, but if I remember correctly it was located on the headland to the west of W Beach.

It was only used for a couple of days due to exposure to Turkish Artillery Fire.

I think I have a map somewhere.

Leave it with me
To protect our history, we must secure it's future.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 14:49
I knew my old brains were not that old. The following extract is taken from the "The War in the Air, Volume 2, page 52).

"Early in May a rough aerodrome had been made on Helles to enable observers to land and report
urgent information to corps head-quarters without loss of time, and to allow aeroplanes to be available during daylight emergency flying. The aerodrome, however, had disadvantages. It was cramped, the approaches were bad, and it was under observation from the Turks on Achi Baba, with the result that it was heavily shelled when aeroplanes were on it for any length of time. The dust
raised by the aeroplanes, too, as they landed on the sandy surface, got into the engines. However, the aerodrome economized valuable time especially before and during
the advance on the 4th of June."

The following foot note on the same page refers to the aerodrome.

"The Helles aerodrome was given up, except for emergency landings on the 29th of June. By that time three aeroplanes had been wrecked on the landing ground by Turkish shell-fire. A dummy aeroplane erected on the aerodrome in October induced the enemy to waste 650 shells in three
days."

The aerodrome was situated on the near W Beach.

I attach a map which gives its general location, apologies for the quality.

Peter Trounson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Trounson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 08:37
Interesting to see when you superimpose the map onto Google earth the area of the airfield mainly follows the modern day field boundaries.

Cheers,

Peter
ANZACPRIDE
Rob L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2015 at 13:45
Excellent! Many thanks Mal, will try and step foot there in September
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2015 at 15:53
Your welcome Rob.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2015 at 10:07
Further to Rob's mention of Flight Lieutenant Bremner above, I have been contacted by Flight Lieutenant Bremner's Grand-daughter who is involved in rebuilding a Bristol Scout as flown by her Grand-father and as used during the campaign.

My thanks to Susan Bremner for kindly supplying the information.

The re-build project website can be viewed here;

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic