The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Research > Research Matters
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

Teliknea Point Lemnos

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOORE6271 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Teliknea Point Lemnos
    Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 12:41
Good afternoon, could anyone advise please on the location of Teliknea Point Lemnos?
We are visiting Lemnos again in June and would like to visit this location, where according to author Hugh Dolan-

"In Mudros Harbour they found the practice area Bridges had detailed- a small bay with a promontory rising to a sandstone cliff covered in coarse vegitation, marked on the charts as Teliknea Point".
We cannot identify this point and our friends on Lemnos are also strugging to locate it.

Regards

Steve Moore

Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 17:16
Steve,

Check this photo on the the Australian War Memorial of Mudros Harbour,

http://www.awm.gov.au/collection/PS1448/

Looks familiar?
To protect our history, we must secure it's future.
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 18:49
I will have a look at some records tomorrow.
To protect our history, we must secure it's future.
MOORE6271 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOORE6271 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 16:42
Hi Mal, many thanks.
The photograph does show a steep hill (maybe with a castle /fort on top)
Its a little more flat at Mudros town itself and I've not seen the hill shown ; but there is a similar hill with a castle at Myrina the island capital on the West coast.
Hopefully your records may assist.
Many thanks again for looking
Regards

Steve
bernardd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bernardd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2015 at 23:12
Hi Steve,

A 1944 map http://throughtheselines.com.au/research/lemnos-island#maps shows a promontory named Likna north of Mudros town. There's a small hill just behind the promontory and the bay - lat/long 39.903078, 25.268366

Cheers, Bernard
MOORE6271 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOORE6271 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 13:23
Hi Bernardd, thats it! 
Appears Likna / Lychna became Teliknea, Talikna, Taligna or Talihna..... Some confusion apparently in 1785 by French traveler Choiseul-Gouffier. 

Many thanks for the information. I'll get photographs when we visit Lemnos again in June.

Regards

Steve
bernardd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bernardd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 03:35
Hi Steve, it was your article in the magazine about the French hospital at Lemnos? 

Can you tell me the lat/long and I'll add it to our map - http://goo.gl/maps/AMMbu

Cheers
Bernard
MOORE6271 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOORE6271 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 18:34
Hi Bernard, afraid so along with my partner in crime Margaret...
Not the most IT savy person, but 39 degrees 51'N and 25 degrees 14'E, should show the remains of 2 buildings and the water tank. (A bit left of the Hotel Ethaleia along the dirt road)

PS your site has been so useful to us when we visit Lemnos. Thank you.

Kind Regards

Steve 

MOORE6271 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOORE6271 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2015 at 15:56
Hi Bernard, I now have photographs of Lychna - Teliknea- Point on Lemnos.
They are from a distance, as the Greek Army has an AAA site on the hill and do not take too kindly to old Brits with cameras wandering around..
How do I get them to you / forum? (I'm not the most computer savy bloke and family 5 year old is away this weekend).

Regards

Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic