Forum Home Forum Home > Research > Research Matters
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

RAMC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomson6365 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RAMC
    Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 17:28
Is there a list of those who served in the Gallipoli campaign? I am researching my father, Thomas Norman Thomson who served with the RAMC as a private, possibly with one of the Lancashire regiments as he was born in Liverpool and lived in Wallasey, Cheshire when he enrolled in 1914/5. I do have a copy of a record, that may be his, which says that "Theatre of War first served - 2B" & date of entry 25/4/15. Is this Gallipoli? I've also got two possible regimental numbers 1662 & 337262 from separate records - How could I follow these up?
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 10:08
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, and thank you for posting this query.

Firstly there is NO central roll for those who served during the Gallipoli Campaign.

If you have your father's medals you can find his Regimental Number on the side of the British War medal and Victory medal and on the obverse of the Star.

With regards to the Index Cards that you refer to with regards to your father, the following is the basic information.

There is a Silver War Badge record (of which I have a copy) in respect of 337262 Private Thomas Norman Thomson, 1 W.L.F.A. (West Lancashire Field Ambulance) Royal Army Medical Corps (this unit was redesignated as 87th Field Ambulance, 29th Division).

The record shows that he enlisted on 9/9/1914 and was discharged on 28/2/1919 aged 30 yrs and 3 months.

With regards to the Medal Index Card in respect of 1662 Private Thomas N Thomson.

You are correct regarding the fact that "2b Balkans" refers to Gallipoli.

I believe that 1662 was actually a Territorial Force number so your father was most likely a member of the Territorial Force.

Using the information on the Medal Index Card (1662) you can apply to the National Archives in Kew for a copy of the Medal Rolls.

You could also contact the R.A.M.C. Museum and see what they may have on him.

I hope this is of use to your research.

Regards,

Mal
To protect our history, we must secure it's future.
Peter Trounson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Trounson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 11:04
Just to clarify Mals post. The exception is if you are researching Australian veterans of the campaign they are relatively easy to find. The following site is down at the moment as they are updating it but it is great for researching any World War One soldier. You can also access any Australian WW1 soldiers records at the National Archives of Australia or Australian War Memorial sites for free.

AIF Database

http://www.aif.adfa.edu.au:8080/index.html

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by Peter Trounson - 22 Mar 2013 at 11:06
ANZACPRIDE
Thomson6365 View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomson6365 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 11:21
Thanks, Mal, for your reply it has confirm that the records I downloaded from the Ancestry web site are probably that of my father. Unfortunately his medals were given to a younger member of the family on his death in 1959 who says that his medals were stolen. He later in the war served on the Western Front and as a consequence was wounded and lost a leg. His age of discharge does tie up with his birth date of 1888. My research has been complicated by the fact that his first name is Thomas (as mine) but always known by his second name of Norman.

Thanks again for your very helpful reply and I will follow up the leads you suggest.

Alex T 
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 12:18
Your very welcome, you could also now see are there any pension records surviving for you father.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 08:56
Thanks Peter for clarifying that, you have just given me an idea for a post regarding basic research techniques for people researching their Gallipoli ancestors.

Mal
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic