The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Research > Cemeteries and Memorials > Gallipoli Peninsula Cemeteries/Memorials
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

Nuri Yamut/Fusilier Bluff

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianphilliskirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nuri Yamut/Fusilier Bluff
    Posted: 03 Mar 2013 at 19:03
I was at Gully Ravine this weekend. 

I haven't been to Nuri Yamut the Turkish martyrs memorial for about 18 years. Son Ok memorial is as 'badly' painted and kept as I recall. 
I see the Turks have greatly enlarged Nuri Yamut area with a walled 'garden'. Planted some trees. And built a car park. 

There is also a gravel pathway that leads about 300-400 meters away to a second Turkish [Gully Ravine/Krithia battles] memorial. It too has taken up a fair amount of space. There is a large moon and crescent 'motif' on the floor at that one. 

They both have pathways set out 'inside' but they don't appear to be planned in any real sense. 

This second memorial is at the 'head' of Gullly Ravine where it splits and near to where their J12 a, c, d, trench system would have been. Opposite 'our' Trolley Ravine.

For both walled garden affairs, they have used some yellow and reddish sandstone, but the building material and workmanship is to say the least very poor. It really is a shame that their workmanship for what is such an important event in the period of their history is so shoddy. Some of the stone is already broken. And they clearly never heard of a spirit level or plumb line. 

To be honest it is really sad. 
Krithia View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krithia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 14:09
Hi Ian,

Its dreadful and really spoilt the area. If has never been maintained since the day it was put up, although as you have hinted the problem is not purely the maintenance, but the awful of the original build. I am hoping it will be tidied up before 2014/15.

ianphilliskirk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianphilliskirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 14:21
Steve

I hold no hope whatsoever for a re-build, or repair or tidy up-maintenance for 1915. 

I didn't even mention all the rubbish dumped near by. The amount of rubbish dumped on their trench system further away from our lines at Fusilier is truly awful. Outside Nuri Yamut there is a lot of rubbish too on the sea side. 

BTW Fir Tree wood now has a goat/sheep tree branch made-pen inside it. The dogs are quite aggressive. So be careful. They are likely to be still there when you go in Sept.
Peter Trounson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Trounson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 15:23
G'day Ian and Steve,

Yes, I have to sadly agree with your observations and comments. Not the only country to be guilty of not maintaining ones monuments but it is rather sad to see the state that their memorials are in especially when you compare it to the CWGC cemeteries (and upon saying that a lot of cemeteries under their care around the world are rarely visited but enough respect is held for those buried there for a reasonable cycle of maintenance to occur). Having been at that particular memorial three out of the last five years I can say that nothing really changes, the grass being very high near the second of the memorials the last time I was there. Besides the state of the memorials the road you have to take to get there is particularly bad and I was rather glad we were in hire cars at the time.

As a carpenter I do cringe a bit about the quality of the workmanship but it seems to be of that ilk all over that part of the world and is their accepted work practice. Even when they spend a relatively large money on a project such as the Naval Museum at Cannakale which has some brilliant displays but you realise the rot has set in when you read the posters and descriptive notes where history does get changed somewhat. From memory one proudly proclaims that the enemy was driven into the sea and beaten in September 1915.

Edited by Peter Trounson - 04 Mar 2013 at 15:25
ANZACPRIDE
Krithia View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krithia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 22:13
The rubbish, dont start me on the rubbish!

Thanks for the tip on Fir Tree Wood as we do a nice walk from Twelve Tree, past Fir Tree and along the Nullah, crossing to the Redoubt lines. I may have to be creative if the dogs take a liking to the battlefield trekkers!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic