The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Research > Cemeteries and Memorials
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

Remains of Our Fallen

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianphilliskirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remains of Our Fallen
    Posted: 03 Mar 2013 at 18:45
I have been to Gully Ravine this weekend. It has been raining heavily over the past few weeks so the ground is very heavy and wet. In places the mud is 6-10 inches deep. The rain has unearned quite a few bones. Clearly human, and most likely British due to where I saw them. Near our part of H12, the Barricades, inside the dense woods near there, and on the other side at Essex Ravine. These were mainly (large) leg bones. But I also saw smaller bones too.

I always leave these undisturbed notwithstanding they are exposed to the elements, lying where they fell.  
H12 is now a field, and the Ravines are veritable streams (at this time of year). 

I don't know of a 'collection' or retreival  system. Is there one? 

Krithia View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krithia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 14:06
If it is possible to identify the remains as British or Commonwealth, the CWGC should be your first place of call. I would contact the UK office, but after taking photos and details of the exact location. However I have heard stories of these being reported and all gets hushed up and suddenly the bones dissappear never to be seen or heard of again. If true this is sad, so it may be best to just cover them up, pay your respects and walk on. Gallipoli is one huge burial ground, so maybe its best to leave them to rest.

ianphilliskirk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianphilliskirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 14:24
Steve these are typical bleached bones. Not whole but broken. Either at death or from ploughing. Or both.

There is no clothing or whole remains to identify. If there were I would contact CWGC. Just from location it seemed logical they were ours. 
The shrapnel parts and lead balls exposed around them, perhaps  tell the tale. 

Peter Trounson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Trounson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 15:30
G'day Ian and Steve,

Alas it is sad to find any remains but like Steve I make a note of where I find them and cover the bones over as best I can as who is to say which side they are from for the most part. Certainly it might cause a bit of excitement for a casual traveller to the area but having found many such bones when off the beaten track in my little opinion I think as Steve has said unless there is a definitive way of identifying the individual then they are best left where they are.

Lest we forget.

Peter
ANZACPRIDE
Peter Trounson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Trounson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 20:37
The following is the official position as to remains found on the Gallipoli battlefield as per DVA website.

Discovery of remains

Discovery of bone fragments

Bone fragments work up to the surface from time to time. In view of the fact that there are so many casualties on both sides with no known grave, the policy is to put these fragments back into the soil of the battlefield. Should a visitor find a bone fragment, then this is the most advisable course of action.

Discovery of significant remains

It is unlikely that a visitor will be involved in a major find of a full skeleton with identifiable items of uniform or equipment. In such an event, the matter should be reported to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission office in Canakkale. CWGC would then liaise with their Head Office, the Milli Park Turkish Authorities and the relevant Embassy. Should clear identification be possible, then the Commission would accept the remains to be interred in the most appropriate CWGC cemetery and a grave marker, in the form of a pedestal, would be placed.

ANZACPRIDE
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic