The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Research > Gallipoli/Dardanelles Books > Out of Print Gallipoli/Dardanelles Related Books
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

For the sake of example.

Post Reply Post Reply
Peter Trounson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Trounson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: For the sake of example.
    Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 12:49
Title  - For the sake of example.

Author - Anthony Babington

Publisher - Leo Cooper

Publishing Date - 1983

Pages - 238

The following are the two pages pertinent to the Gallipoli campaign. The rest of the book gives great insight to one of the deplorable use of Capital Courts Martial during the Great War. The second soldier mentioned actually from memory was at Suvla and each time he went AWOL he went over to fight with the Anzacs as he thought that they were the best fighters and he wanted to be in on the action. Funny how that was never mentioned.

Edited by Peter Trounson - 14 Nov 2012 at 12:54
ianphilliskirk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianphilliskirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 21:30
Peter I read this book many years ago. All these men have been pardoned I think. 

The second soldier is Harry Salter. Of the East Lancashire Regt. He was shot 11 Dec 1915 aged 24 in a small quarry or depression just near Green Hill and is buried in Green Hill cemetery. His grave is just inside the gate to the left, and from memory is either the first in the first row or the first in the second row. I always stop at his grave as his story is exceedingly sad. It has been written that Salter however had clearly been targeted by an NCO and look what resulted! Or he clearly had 'mental' problems as did many others shot for these 'offences'. But we must accept that these times were very different to ours. And that many men were just boys and stood their ground. I recall some 300 or so were shot.  But how officers were moved away with 'exhaustion', has never been adequately explained, when the men were simply shot. As you say he 'went' to Anzac -  as if that was a place to run to!. He was actually born in Bridgwater Somerset, so it is somewhat  surprising that he was with a Northern English Regiment. [Here is the link],%20HARRY
The CWGC have a certificate saying he 'died' on that date. And that he is Remembered With Honour. 
The Sgt was a man called John Robins, who was shot and 'demoted' (on his grave he is shown as a private). He was with the Wiltshire's. I think his grave is at 12 Tree Copse.,%20JOHN
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 08:47
Private "k" was an Irish man Private Thomas Davis, 1 Bn. Royal Munster Fusiliers, will post details later.

Edited by Mal Murray - 15 Nov 2012 at 09:06
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic