The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Research > Gallipoli/Dardanelles Books > Book Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

Turkish Perspective

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Rees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turkish Perspective
    Posted: 12 Sep 2010 at 20:20
Gallipoli - The Turkish Story, by Kevin Fewster, Vecihi Basarin, Hatice Hurmuz Basarin. Published 1985. Published in paperback 2003 by Allen & Unwin.

Gallipoli - The Turkish Story, portrays the battle from the Turkish perspective. Known by the Turkish as the Battle of Canakkale, this book gives the view from the Turkish trenches and provides a broadening of our knowledge and understanding of this tragic event.

Kind regards

Barry Rees
Barry Rees View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Rees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2010 at 10:34
I have just found a new book, published by Pen & Sword in 2010 called:

Gallipoli - The Ottoman Campaign by Edward J. Erickson.

The description of the book reads:
  • Full account of the Gallipoli campaign from the Ottoman point of view
  • Analysis of the defensive strayegy and tactics that defeated the Allied landings
  • Assessment of the Commanders including Liman Von Sanders and Mustafa Kemal
  • A new perspective on one of the most controversial episodes of the great war
I will post a bit more one I have read it.

Kind regards

Barry Rees

Edited by Barry Rees - 02 Oct 2010 at 10:36
Stantonhope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stantonhope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 12:43

Gallipoli 1915 - Through Turkish Eyes by Haluk Oral is a must have book. Its a generous coffee table size and is richly illustrated and populated by some new material and original research on Anzac, in particular the attack at Lone Pine in August 1915. 

GTTEsmrev

I understand that it is now out of print, but copies appear to still be available if you search the internet, but vary in price from £65 upwards. But with nearly 500 pages in rich colour, I think it is worth the expense. Few Gallipoli books include much from the Turkish side; this is one that helps fill that gap ... and it is in English, which is an added bonus.

Regards, Stantonhope
Peter Trounson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Trounson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2012 at 01:22
This is a brilliant book though it is best understood by those who have a reasonably good understanding of the Gallipoli campaign. Fascinating glimpses of those left of centre issues that one rarely would think about. There were only 1000 English language copies printed (5000 Turkish) so grab one if you can. Haluk told me in 2011 that he was anticipating getting an abridged copy printed so those who can't find a copy may be able to buy one of these. If you ever get a chance to talk to Haluk he has a huge knowledge of the Anzac area of battle and would know as much if not more than anyone else about the Turks fighting at Anzac.

Cheers,

Peter
ANZACPRIDE
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic