Forum Home Forum Home > Gallipoli Association forum > Going to Gallipoli
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

Photo Offer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gully Ravine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Photo Offer
    Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 17:43
Hi

Off to Gallipoli soon - happy to try to help with photo requests where possible.  Note I believe some Helles panels are still under repair and hence unavailable.  Keith 
Lone Pine View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lone Pine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 23:02
ooo are you going anywhere near Lone Pine, if so any pics on Lone Pine would be much appreciated, if you do go, look for my Grandad, he is with the 4th Battalion which is just behind the plinth, and his name is W. Pritchard Thanks x
Grandaughter of William Pritchard KIA Lone Pine
Lone Pine! Lone Pine!For those who come no more

No bugle call can wake them from their slumber:

Lone Pine! Lone Pine!

Gully Ravine View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gully Ravine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 12:53
I'm sure we will be - we'll pop in and pay our respects.  I have a 'friend' in Lone Pine who I became acquainted with by taking a photo of his headstone for a relative in Australia a few years ago.  Each year we have been since, I have always called in to stand by his headstone and have a chat with a lump in my throat!  Don't know him from Adam, but we seem to have a bond ... can't explain it.  Private Walter Leonard East, Australian Infantry, A.I.F. 10th Bn.  Died 15 May 1915 aged 20.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gully Ravine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 13:03
Just put a photo of his headstone up here http://forum.gallipoli-association.org/forum_posts.asp?TID=1689&title=walter-leonard-east

Edited by Gully Ravine - 11 Dec 2012 at 13:34
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gully Ravine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 13:18
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gully Ravine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 14:27
Lone Pine View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lone Pine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 15:30
Originally posted by Gully Ravine Gully Ravine wrote:

I'm sure we will be - we'll pop in and pay our respects.  I have a 'friend' in Lone Pine who I became acquainted with by taking a photo of his headstone for a relative in Australia a few years ago.  Each year we have been since, I have always called in to stand by his headstone and have a chat with a lump in my throat!  Don't know him from Adam, but we seem to have a bond ... can't explain it.  Private Walter Leonard East, Australian Infantry, A.I.F. 10th Bn.  Died 15 May 1915 aged 20.

Hi

There are loads of strange stuff going on up at Lone Pine, so I do understand.

When I went to see Grandad I left poppies for him and the boys as well, one each. 

Anyway about 3/4 months after I got home I had an email from a contact in Australia who said that a John Pritchard was looking for me, he had been looking in Australia, but of courrse I am here in good old England.  Anyway got in touch, turns out that he was just about to leave LP, at the end of July 2010 and suddenly a breeze got up and a poppy landed at his feet, anyway he looked about and saw my Grandad's poppies and saw that one had come loose, he popped it back and in his words "had a very profound expereince" as it turns out his Father was called William Pritchard, so he was detemined to find me when he got back to Australia, which he did eventually, but no we are not realted at all! 

How very strange, think Grandad may have been showing off a bit, as I was the first one ever to go and see him, so he laid there for 95 years more or less forgotten, but now forgotton no more. so me thinks he was showing off LOL
Grandaughter of William Pritchard KIA Lone Pine
Lone Pine! Lone Pine!For those who come no more

No bugle call can wake them from their slumber:

Lone Pine! Lone Pine!

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gully Ravine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 19:30
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic