The Gallipoli Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Photograph Gallery > Photographs of Identified Individuals or Groups. > British Forces Personnel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

Survivors of HMT Royal Edward

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Mules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Survivors of HMT Royal Edward
    Posted: 16 May 2012 at 22:05
This photograph (labelled "Survivors of Royal Edward" on the back) comes from my grandmother's (Nursing Sister Mary Hocking) collection of images.

Of note, although many of the Royal Edward survivors were rescued by HMHS SOUDHAIN, I must presume that these were rescued by other vessels and transferred to HMHS GARTH CASTLE for her to have had cause to photograph them.
In the course of trying to discover more on the Royal Edward I have found more information which I will post and link in the relevant Naval Operations Research thread (http://forum.gallipoli-association.org/forum_posts.asp?TID=515&title=rms-royal-edward-sunk-13-8-15 and includes details of the regiments involved.

Edited by Mal Murray - 22 May 2013 at 17:31
John
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2012 at 18:06
A great photo John, wouldn't it be great to have their names. I know that you don't and we discussed this at Olympia, it would be reat to know did they survive the war.

Thanks for posting it.

Mal
cockney gel View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cockney gel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 11:55
Hello,
I only just recently came across this message and was interested as my Great Granddad was on the S.S. Royal Edward when it was torpedoed. Sadly, he was one of the many who didn't survive. Unfortunately the photo is not there, only the little red cross in the top left corner. I'm a 'silver surfer' who doesn't have a great connection with computers!!Could someone guide me in the right direction as to what I can do please. Many thanks.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 13:01
Hi ,

Thanks for posting I will sort the photo out tomorrow.

You might like to post your great granddad's details so we can enter him on the roll of honour.

Regards

Mal
To protect our history, we must secure it's future.
cockney gel View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cockney gel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 22:04
Hello Mal,
My Great Granddad was 15871 Pte William John Osborne, Hampshire Regt. My Mum had always believed that he had died at Gallipoli[his name is on the Helles Memorial], but after doing research we found that he never actually got there as he drowned on the R.M.S. Royal Edward. He had enlisted at the age of 41, which was quite old.
You may already know that those on the Royal Edward were men of the 13th Battalion, going out as re-inforcements to the 2nd Battalion at Gallipoli. There are conflicting figures for the number of Hampshires onboard, but the Royal Hampshire Regt. Museums' list has 211, of which only 29 survived. The Museum were very helpful and informed me that there is a Memorial Book in Winchester Cathedral and also outside there's a Memorial that names all those of the Hampshire Regt who died in WW1. The Museum also very kindly arranged for the Book to be turned to the page that has my Grt. Granddad' name on. On the stone in front of the case that the Memorial Book is in, part of the inscription reads 'the names of the men of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight who served and died'. My Grt. Granddad was from the East End of London, which back then was a long way from Hampshire. I wondered why he would have been in that Regiment, when there were so many others in and around London.I was told that he had enlisted pretty early in the War when men would have had a choice which Regt./Service they wanted to go into. Also, most Regts.had recruiting Officers & Sergeants in London.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 12:22
Hi,

Thanks for posting this information, I have posted him on the Roll of Honour you may view it here;

I have added information over and above that shown by the CWGC, this is indicated by an asterisk (*).

I am always amused at some of the regiments that soldiers ended up in, I have found many Irish men that served in the Hampshire and other Regiments.

I know that early in the war there was sometimes an option to choose your Regiment, but as the war progressed this choice was removed and drafts were sent to Regiments as they were required to replace Battle casualties.

Thank you for allowing William to be entered on our Roll of honour.

Best regards,

Mal

Edited by Mal Murray - 06 Apr 2013 at 12:23
To protect our history, we must secure it's future.
DaveR View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 18:56
I have only recently seen this and would very much like to see the photo but it doesn't display. My interest stems from my grandfather being a survivor of the sinking. He was one of 20 men of 2/3rd West Lancashire Field Ambulance who volunteered to go as reinforcements. I've been gathering material on them for some years now.
John Mules View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Mules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 20:53
DaveR,
My apologies, I have only just seen your post. I am not sure what has happened to the picture either. Unfortunately, I am away from my archive at the moment so cannot post it up again but will do so as soon as I get the chance unless the Admin team have managed to sort it in the meantime.
John
CRICHTONSTU2730 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRICHTONSTU2730 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 14:34
Any joy on retrieving the photograph??
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic