Forum Home Forum Home > Photograph Gallery > Land Operations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gallipoli Association Forum

Despatch Riders

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Trounson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Despatch Riders
    Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 12:29
The original can be viewed at -:

Note what appears to be an Australian amongst this group of despatch riders.

ANZACPRIDE
Mal Murray View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 15:43
According to the recent edition of the Gallipolian (No. 128 Spring 2012) This phot was taken at Mudros.
Rob L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2013 at 20:13
One of my favourite WW1 photographs - all motorcycles appear to be Douglas 2 3/4 HP models, very popular during the war with despatch riders along with the heavier Triumph Model H
Rob L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2013 at 12:07
There was a photograph posted on Facebook which I will try and copy to hear of Douglas motorcycles belonging to 29th Division after having been burnt to destroy them - wouldn't surprise me if it's some of the same ones pictured here
Hadley1895 View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hadley1895 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 22:34
As a matter of fact, my grandfather appears on the beach photograph of the despatch riders. The picture was taken by a Daily Mirror photographer on 'W' Beach some time in May 1915 and posted on the front page under the heading 'Our Boys in the Dardanelles'. My grandfather, along with those in the picture, was an A.S.C. despatch rider and remained on the peninsula until August after being taken-off suffering from Dysentery and Malaria. I wrote an account of his experiences for the UK motorcycling magazine 'The Classic Motorcycle' around ten years ago, together with a selection of photographs from his private collection. By the way, apparently the Duggies used in the campaign were actually buried rather than torched. Hope this helps to put the record straight.Big smile
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 22:39
Welcome to the forum.

Perhaps you might consider posting a bio profile of your grandfather on our roll of honour of those who served.

Best regards

Mal
To protect our history, we must secure it's future.
Hadley1895 View Drop Down
Forum Only Members
Forum Only Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hadley1895 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 02:43
I'd be delighted to. I'm in Australia at the moment returning to UK the end of Feb, so will be happy to so on my return.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 09:55
Excellent, if you need any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Safe journey home.
To protect our history, we must secure it's future.
Rob L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 12:51
Excellent, thanks - any idea where the Douglas' were buried? A friend of mine restores and rides WW1 motorcycles - including a Douglas - no doubt if he finds out he'll be packing me off with a spade on my September trip!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic